You want to create a marketing plan for your nonprofit organization but you are not sure where to start? The first step is always to create a plan to evaluate your current marketing. Identify the stage you are in and learn how to move forward with your marketing plan.
We will give you 4 steps to follow to accurately assess your current marketing:
1- Your audience
- What is your main service or mission?
- Who is here to help you with your mission?
- Your donors
- Your volunteers
- Local community
- Influencers/experts working with you
- What are these people getting in return for helping you?
- Your contact list
- Create one if you do not already have one.
- How do you get in touch with them?
- Where did you meet them?
- The list should include everyone you can get in touch with such as blog subscribers.
- Identify your relationship with your contact list
- How often do you interact with them?
- How do you interact with them?
- Which channel do you use? Email, social media, ...?
- How often do you send them your newsletter or an email update?
- What other mode of communication are you using to interact with your contact list?
2- Your Messages
What do you say to your contact list?
- Write your tagline
- Your mission statement
- Your elevator pitch: describe in 30 words or one sentence your mission sentence.
- Your key messages
- Who wrote your messages?
To determine how effective your have been with your messages use this simple trick: ask 2 to 3 volunteers and staff what does our organization do? What makes your organization unique? By asking these 2 questions, you will be able to understand how your staff view your organization and if they know how to clearly describe your organization. It will also gives you variations of your message strategy, so you can work on it further.
3- Your Channels
Describe your communication channels:
- Your website
- Your social media accounts
- Paid and unpaid advertising such Google AdWords and Google Ad Grants
- Communication and public relations such as newsletter, news articles, ...
- Special events/fundraiser
- Annual Report
4- Analyze Your Data
Analyzing your data is the final step of your organization assessment and evaluation of your current marketing plan.
Answer the following questions to find out your results:
- Are you messages consistent?
- Are your communication materials optimal or you should improve them? If yes, what would you change?
- Does your staff and volunteers all have the same understanding of your organization mission, values and uniqueness? Is it similar to yours?
- What are your using your communication strategies for? Do they focus on your contact list? Are they more fundraising oriented?
- Do you have a clear enough tagline that is unique and bold compared to your competitors?
- Did you discover a new target audience or contacts you had not considered before doing your self-assessment?
Thank you for reading how to do an organization self-assessment. Follow the steps above and you will be ready to create an effective marketing plan, which we will elaborate on in our next post.